Friday 29 May 2015

Misunderstandings with language learning






Misunderstood: The above cartoon discussion between the two men is a classic example of how the English language can be misunderstood depending on how it is delivered! Photo - CARTOONSTOCK.COM





I enjoyed reading this post in the link below on the website Babbel about how much trouble people can get into while trying to learn a new language. It's quite funny:

http://www.babbel.com/magazine/embarrassing-language-mistakes?slc=engmag-a27-vid-bv5-embarrassinglanguagemistakes-ob&utm_source=outbrain&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=cd_engall_gen_cx1_embarrassinglanguagemistakes

I know even being versed in English as a journalist how misunderstandings can occur. They shouldn't in our line of work, but they do.

One person can be talking apples and the other thinking oranges!

I find that if I'm interviewing someone about a complicated subject like medicine or the behaviour of earthquakes and the hallmarks of seismology, I tend to get the answers to my questions repeated by mirroring what the interviewee has said, such as: 'Are you saying in this case that ...?' or 'what does that mean in this particular case?' (and repeat what they've said but in a different way, so not to appear stupid!). This practice also ensures accuracy in what you've heard especially when you've got to relay the answers, in stories about subjects you may be hearing for the first time, on a public media platform.

A superior of mine quite a few years ago, told me that he didn't have to worry about the accuracy of my copy after he had listened to an interview I had done while we were working in the same room.

When I asked him why he wasn't worried about my accuracy, he said: "Because you mirror everything the other person tells you, that you may not understand. That's a great skill."

I appreciated that he was prepared to recognise and mention my skill in this way.

But I have to say, I've never been to a non-English-speaking country and I've often wondered how much of a lonely experience it must be not being able to communicate in the local language, if you are travelling alone. There might be some light-hearted moments when you get the pronunciation wrong and you end up saying something quite different to what you intended! But I guess it must be a bit daunting most of the time?

Have you been in a situation where you have struggled to make yourself understood, even when you are speaking English to another English-speaking person, or even if you've mastered a foreign language and you have still not been understood?

Perhaps you may have a health issue, like a stroke that's affected your speech and makes being understood difficult?

Beating the Odds would love to hear about your experiences in the comments box.

Have a great weekend!

BTO.



No comments:

Post a Comment